Monday, May 28, 2007
Bless those Jerkenses
A good day at the OTW today, as I had a $2 win bet on Corinthian ($21.60) and $1 exacta box on Corinthian and Political Force ($142.50). Hey, I’m an architectural historian…how could I not bet on Corinthian (see pic)? Also had the $1 tri in Race 5 ($116), but wish I had paid closer attention to my fellow TBA blogger Alan’s picks for Belmont, as he was spot on in many races. However, did anyone suspect Big Daddy Rex would ramble home in the second for the win, to the tune of $123.00? The 11-7-2 tri paid $5,563.00. Urgh! Could have gotta my house painted for that...Had Akronism ($15.00) for the win at Delaware in the 8th, and popped a 10 cent super in race 10 at Churchill ($29.54). Total wins: $324.64 (minus about $75 in bets, thus profit of about $250.)
Other news of note today:
• Nine-year-old The Tin Man won the G1 Shoemaker Breeders’ Cup at Hollywood Park. Get Funky (16-1) and Willow O Wisp (13-1) filled out the exotics, paying a nice $777.80 for the $1 tri.
• Another father-son duo, this time jockeys Joe Rocco and Joe Rocco, Jr., pulled off the exacta in race 5 at Delaware Park today. Son (Unplugged) beat father (Look of Love) for payoff of $125.80.
• There will be a $262,675 pick six carryover at Belmont, when racing resumes on Thursday.
• Sprinter Friendly Island, currently third on the TBA ranking of sprinters (behind Silver Wagon and Ah Day), has been retired due to an ankle injury.
• There’s talk that Sedgefield may aim for the Belmont Stakes after a strong workout on Monday. I still believe he’s a turf/polytrack horse, but he finished well for fifth in the Derby. However, my money is still on Tiago!
• Finally, 1978 Melbourne Cup winner Arwon was euthanized at age 33 on Friday; he was in good health and eating well, but had trouble standing.