Social Icons


Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Caviar vs. Sardines

We usually do not get to the OTW facility on Tuesdays, but since today was primary election day here in PA, and my friend could not work due to her office being a polling place, we spent a pathetically bad day there today. What tracks run on a Tuesday in May, you may ask? Philly Park, Delaware, River Downs, Finger Lakes, Prairie Meadows, Great Lakes, Fort Erie…get the picture? Nary a quality race to be had, as chalk ruled the day. The trifecta payouts at Philly paid between a low of $19.60 and the highest, $390.80. I did have Cabo Rojo in the 9th at Philly who paid $18.00 for trainer Jayne Vaders; he was the biggest payout of the day there—win, place, or show. It was that bad. It’s true: once you have had caviar, it’s hard to settle for sardines. So, I’ll be back at the OTW on Friday, with Pimlico, Belmont and Churchill topping my list of tracks to play.

Leading up to his stakes debut on Preakness Day in the $100,000 Hirsch Jacobs Stakes at Pimlico, Southwestern Heat (first offspring of multiple graded stakes winner Xtra Heat) blazed a bullet 3 furlongs today in 35:80 at Laurel. I hate to use the term “sure thing” but I have had my eye on this colt since he broke his maiden and, believe me, he will go off at a very short price and win impressively. Rely on it.

0 comments: