Social Icons


Tuesday, July 31, 2007

From Dirt to Turf

As the summer days drift by (and I get closer to having to return to work after my 8 month sabbatical), how many more prominent three-year-olds formerly on the Triple Crown dirt trail will migrate to turf? Already we have seen Circular Quay who didn’t impress in the G2 Virginia Derby. Summer Doldrums won the G3 Colonial Turf Cup. Nobiz Like Shobiz worked over the Saratoga turf on Monday (7f, 1.27:24), apparently in preparation for the 9f G2 $150,000 National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame Stakes on Monday, August 6. If, for some reason, he scratches, he is also nominated for the G1 $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (1-1/4 mile turf) at Arlington on August 11. The DRF is claiming he will run in the G2 Fourstardave Stakes, but his name is not among those nominated.

On Friday, Hard Spun arrives at Monmouth, in anticipation for Sunday’s Haskell. So, why is he also one of only 11 nominations for the Secretariat? As frequent readers know, several TBA bloggers would dearly love to see Hard Spun on the grass before he sails off to the breeding shed at year’s end. Please don’t tease us! Run him on the turf! Regretfully, it does appear that he will go in the 1-1/8 mile Haskell against Curlin, Any Given Saturday, Imawildandcrazyguy, Xchanger, local hero Cable Boy, and possibly Stormello. However, Stormello has also worked over the grass recently (7f, 1.31:20 at Del Mar). I’m not convinced he will make the trip east for the Haskell. I have no inside information (believe me, I wish I did!), but I would dearly like to see his connections give up pressing him beyond one mile, shorten him up and allow him to flourish as the pure sprinter he was born to be. Could they be aiming for the grassy G2 La Jolla Handicap on August 11, the G2 Pat O’Brien (7f on dirt) or (as I suggested before) the G2 Del Mar Mile on turf? Perhaps they want to go against the "big boys" in the G1 Pacific Classic...though I'm not sure he's ready to compete against older horses just quite yet.

One of my favorite hardworking colts, Teuflesberg, also worked over the Saratoga grass today (4f, .47.42). Et tu, Teufles? However, the DRF says he’s being pointed to the August 25 G1 King’s Bishop (7f). Maybe it’s just one of those crazy ideas Jamie Sanders has…

Finally, on a different topic altogether, for those like me gripped by the saga of perpetual maiden Four Acres, he lost another one on Monday, finishing in the middle of a large 13-horse field at Suffolk Downs. Going off at nearly 98-1, the battle-weary veteran lost his 72nd consecutive race—the only horse in the field completely (legal) drug free.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

and I get closer to having to return to work after my 8 month sabbatical

ain't academics great. i return from my full year sabbatical in a few weeks. hopefully classes don't cut into my horseplaying (they never have before)

Anonymous said...

Thought you might like to know that Danthebluegrassman won and paid $23.40 in a starter $5000 race at River Downs first off a claim

Valerie Grash said...

Marshall,

And did you get much (academic) accomplished during your sabbatical? LOL! I really just enjoyed the pure bliss of not having to deal with committee work, and students, although some still emailed me constantly.Urgh!Have you discovered this site yet? It is fabulously therapeutic: http://rateyourstudents.blogspot.com/

I forgot about Dan running today (and I haven’t made the plunge into online wagering yet, so it didn’t matter financially), but soooo pleased to see him win! And pay so well! Did you get a bet in on him?