With the dearth of graded stakes this past weekend, I spent a little time perusing the catalog for the November 4 Fasig-Tipton Kentucky Mixed Sale (view entire catalog here). In addition to the numerous black-type fillies and mares recently retired from racing—like Cotton Blossom (Hip No. 149), Asi Siempre (Hip No. 133) and Round Pond (Hip No. 72)—and those inexplicably on the auction block—such as Irish Smoke (Hip No. 132), Set Play (Hip No. 179), Lear’s Princess (Hip No. 33), Super Freaky (Hip No. 97), Pussycat Doll (Hip No. 51), Valbenny (Hip No. 117), Dream Rush (Hip No. 163), Cash Included (Hip No. 147) and Appealing Zophie (Hip No. 131), there are some interesting horses available.
• Hip No. 48: Bay Filly, by Songandaprayer out of Naughty Natisha. Half-sister to graded-stakes winner Naughty New Yorker.
• Hip No. 53: Chestnut Colt, by Friends Lake out of Pacific Spell. Half-brother to Larry Jones-trained BC juvenile filly candidate Proud Spell, winner of the G2 Matron Stakes this year.
• Hip No. 118: Chestnut Colt, by Smarty Jones out of Donation. Half-brother to multiple G1 winner Lawyer Ron. His dam (Hip No. 119) is also for sale, in foal to Distorted Humor.
• Hip No. 125: Chestnut Filly, by Fusaichi Pegasus out of Added Time; half-sister to G1 Spinaway winner Irish Smoke.
• Hip No. 135: Chestnut Colt, by More than Ready out of Audacious; full-brother to multiple-stakes winner Audacious Chloe. His dam is a half-sister to Freddie Frission, whose most famous offspring is multiple-G1 winner First Samurai.
• Hip No. 141: Dark Bay or Brown Filly, by City Place out of Boldy’s Reflection; she is a half-sister to 2007 G1 Del Mar Debutante winner Set Play.
• Hip No. 7: Astoria Stakes winner Glacken’s Gal, trained by Todd Pletcher, who suffered a career-ending injury (fractured left front sesamoid bone) during a workout on August 21—broodmare prospect
• Hip No. 22: Victoria Stakes-placed Lacadena, whose claim to fame is that her second dam is Blush with Pride, who is the dam (among others) of Better Than Honour (dam of Rags to Riches and Jazil) and Maryinsky (dam of G1 Irish Oaks winner Peeping Fawn)—racing/broodmare prospect
• Hip No. 10: prolific winner-producing broodmare Heart Warmer, dam of two-year-old filly A to the Croft
• Hip No. 52: Only Imagine, who is believed to be pregnant to Borrego. Not much of a race record herself, but she is a half-sister to the speedy G1 winner Flashy Bull and Count Fleet Stakes winner Pink Viper—her dam’s only other two offspring.
• Hip No. 69: Reina Victoriosa, who produced two stakes-winners by More Than Ready—Ready Ruler and Iowa Derby winner More than Regal. Believed pregnant to Ghostzapper. Of interest: she is a full-sister to Quendom, dam of super-horse Invasor.
• Hip No. 104: stakes-winner Tax Refund, half-sister to G2 Adirondack Stakes-runner-up Unbridled Beauty (whose first offspring Meal Penalty won at first-asking this year). Her dam is a full-sister to multiple-grade 1 winner and sire Housebuster—racing/broodmare prospect.
• Hip No. 106: one of my favorites, The Niagara Queen, who won at 12 furlongs at Woodbine in the Flaming Page Stakes in September—racing/broodmare prospect
• Hip No. 123: Winter’s Gone, believed pregnant to Storm Cat. She is the dam of G1 Las Virgenes Stakes winner Sharp Susan, G1 Malibu Stakes runner-up Spring at Last, and G2 Lake Placid Stakes winner Sharp Susan.
• Hip No. 130: Appealing Storm, believed pregnant to Bernardini. She is also the dam of G1 QEII Challenge Cup winner Vacare.
• Hip No. 138: Binalong, who is a half-sister to Bedazzle, dam of multiple G1-winner Street Sense. Doubtlessly hoping for similar success, she is believed pregnant to Street Cry.
• Hip No. 160: Deviletta, believed pregnant to Omega Code; her son Wicked Style won the G1 Lane’s End Breeders’ Futurity at Keeneland.
• Hip No. 181: G3 Aqueduct Handicap winner Liquor Cabinet
• Hip No. 182: multiple G1 winner Silver Wagon
• Hip No. 183: G1 Suburban Handicap runner-up Tap Day
• Hip No. 184: multiple G1-placed and Queen’s Plate winner Wild Desert