Social Icons


Thursday, January 17, 2008

Winter Winds Blowing, Derby Dreams Growing



With daytime high temperatures here projected to be single-digit and the MLK holiday on Monday giving me a three-day weekend, I figure to spend some time formulating a short (or long) list of potential Derby horses this weekend. Tonight, while researching Tale of Ekati, I was fascinated by the progeny and descendents of his second dam Maplejinsky (Nijinsky-Gold Beauty, by Mr. Prospector). This multiple-G1 winner (Alabama, Monmouth Oaks) produced:

Sky Beauty (Blushing Groom): millionaire multiple-grade 1 winner, filly Triple Crown champion.

Our Country Place (Pleasant Colony): unraced; dam of millionaire BC Distaff victress Pleasant Home; MGSW Country Hideaway (dam, by AP Indy, of MGSW Boca Grande); and winner Matlacha Pass (dam, by Arch, of multiple-G1 winner Pine Island).

Silence Beauty (Sunday Silence): dam of Tale of Ekati.

Lots of talented women in that family…along with all of his other strong points (Barclay Tagg, impressive win first out, beating Kodiak Kowboy in the G2 Futurity), Tale of Ekati goes on my watch list. Who’s on yours?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch out for War Pass!!!

Valerie Grash said...

He definately looks impressive, I grant you that. But I'm not sure he can carry that into his three-year-old campaign. I hope so, believe me. He was a monster last year!