Social Icons


Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Another Southwestern Heat Disappointment

So…four horse field, as Cherokee Country and Secret Time scratched. Odds-on favorite Suave Jazz dumps Frankie Pennington coming out of the gate, leaving Southwestern Heat on the early lead like a bat out of hell (as usual). Thought he learned to rate a bit last fall, but obviously not. Going around the turn, Banjo Picker started to go past Southwestern Heat, and Kendrick Carmouche acted like Xtra Heat’s first-born was actually going to hit another gear. Didn’t happen, no matter how long I held my breath. 8-year-old Banjo Picker just kept going, and eventually Power by Leigh even got by my beloved chestnut colt. Urgh!

Just sitting down to handicap Saratoga's opening day card. From the weather forecast available online, it looks like rain so I'll keep that firmly in mind. Entries are also up for Thursday, and some old favorites re-emerging including most notably Visionaire who Matz sends out in race 7. The 6.5f distance suggests this is meant to only be a warmup for something better, but it is a tough spot in that he is the only 3-year-old, going against the likes of Street Magician, Out of Gwedda and Loose Leaf (who is in for a $75K tag).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The horse is coming back after knee surgery and he looked like he was a gallop short to me. Ran first time out on a sloppy turf track over 5 (what were they thinking there??) and then comes back a within 2 weeks to start over 6 on the dirt. I'd be give him one more run before putting a line through him!

Valerie Grash said...

Anon, this is the first I've heard of the knee surgery. Oh, my! That certainly does put another light on the matter. Can you elaborate anymore on what his condition was/is?

Regardless of how he performs, I'll never put a line through him--he's my "horse crush" :) And he has quite a following among Xtra Heat fans as well.