It’s that time again! With the arrival of 2012’s first foals—specifically those by first-year sires—comes our annual Baby Names game. No prizes, just the pure pleasure—and challenge—of devising witty, profound or just plain goofy names for the newborns. I’ve included a little more pedigree information than in years past, plus clickable links of both sire and dam in case you want to explore their progeny and/or siblings in more detail. Also, you can check The Jockey Club Registry to see if the name is available. Feel free to include your ideas in the comments’ section; I promise to post any and all suggestions.
January 7—Filly, by Desert Party out of Spikes, by Dixie Union out of the Double Zeus mare Safe at the Plate
- Going along with the damline baseball theme, how about Diamondback, or Stealin’ Home?
- Umm, a sire named for a lighthouse in Havre de Grace, MD…this one’s tough, with damline names all over the place. Sticking with the water theme, I’m leaning towards naming her after the Rhine siren Lorelei, a beautiful name (plus I totally love the Pogues’ song).
January 11—Filly, by The Pamplemousse out of Broke the Slump, by Slewpy out of the Falstaff mare Code It Nikki
- Tenuously clinging to the baseball metaphor, I was thinking Grapefruit League, but it’s taken. But just plain Grapefruit isn’t…or maybe Sustained Pressure?
- I suppose Promptly Blame is too damn easy…but it’s available! How about Without Reproach?
January 13—Filly, by Temple City out of Goes Around, by Wild Again out of the Nijinsky mare Lady Becker
- I’m such an architecture geek; my first thought was Circumambulate. How about What Goes Around?
January 14—Filly, by Super Saver out of Yield to Faith, by High Yield out of the Sir Ivor mare Royal Solution
- Faith Saver might be appropriate, but I’m thinking Extreme Couponer is timely and right on.
January 16—Filly, by Lookin At Lucky out of Awesome, by Storm Cat out of the Key to the Mint mare Pure Profit
- Too easy: Lookin’ Awesome or Awesome Lucky. Nothing less is expected from a filly whose dam is a half sister to the likes of Inside Information and Educated Risk.
January 17—Colt, by Quality Road out of Dorm Fever, by Stormin Fever out of the Pleasant Colony mare Dorm
- Road Trip! Damn, already taken. Colony Road? Bit of a stretch. Being from Pennsylvania, I’d go with Lincoln Highway.
January 20—Colt, by Munnings out of Heaven’s Grace, by Untuttable out of the Septieme Ciel mare Heaven’s Gate
- Not in the least bit original, how about Munnings’ Grace? Not really appropriate for a colt though, I suppose. How about another equine artist name, like Sartorius (what a great sounding, strong name!), or, in honor of Peb, Bellocq?